Saturday, February 2, 2008

Message From Jeremy: Scoring Options

OK team. I have been working on a couple ideas for the games behind the game during our trip to Myrtle. I essentially have two approaches that we can take, and I would like to get your feedback on which one you want to go with.

Option 1

I have taken all the historical rounds from our trips, and calculated a Myrtle handicap for each of us. This is based solely on our rounds played in Myrtle, so the 80 that Jeff shot at Pleasant Hills six years ago was not included. The intent would be to use a total strokes scoring, with handicap adjustments, to determine the winner of the WHACKIT jacket. My thought is that everyone will now have a chance, and we won’t have to pay a stripper to injure Bup the night before the last round.

The one downside to this approach is that it does require us all to have a score each round, which limits our choices for games. What I would suggest is that in addition to the overall champion, we put in $5 per round each to have daily champions for better ball and other team games.

Option 2

The other route is to get a bit more creative in the games that we play. I have done some searching on the web, and there are some good games out there. For example, we can play a variation of a game called Whiners which basically provides mulligans based on your handicap, and you can also add other tweaks like one of your mulligans could be a throw rather than a hit (which would work well if you are chipping up a hill right next to a lake). We could also include a scramble and some other games we haven’t done during past trips.

The downside to this is that we won’t each have a score for each round.

Post some comments with your thoughts. Peace.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My preference is to use the handicapping system to determine the champ, and then to play some side games during each round.

Mark Harter said...

Totally agree. I vote handicaps with side games. We could play side games like naked flashlight tag or hide the weiner.

Real side games that come to mind? Golf poker, longest drive, straightest drive, closest to pin. Maybe one of each for every round.

The other thought I had was to keep some statistics. Stuff like number of pars, birds, whatever. We could go back in history and I could create a Stats page on the site. How about number of beers consumed? No I am not kidding. Everyone is responsible to keep a stroke count and reporting to the statitician.

Anonymous said...

How about this for a golf game. I call it Spades because it reminds me of one of the key strategies of Spades........... knowing when you hand is crap and starting to give the other team all the bags.

The game goes like this -- you get to subtract from your score one stroke for every beer you drink, three strokes for a mixed drink.

Drinking is generally a strategy of diminishing returns, but after you are on pace for a 105 after the front nine, then you might be searching for the drink cart a bit more.

bup said...

I agree on doing the handicaps and side games,also. And I really don't mind if you do pay a stripper to hurt me,that might be fun!Oh,by the way I am going to work my butt off to retain the jacket.

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought about it long and hard and I decided I don't like the handicapping thing. I know some people who are handicapped and it doesn't seem all that great. Some of them just sit around shitting themselves and drooling. Others walk around argueing with trees and hugging roadkill. Besides the good parking, I really don't see an upside to this.
If we do do this I agree that we have to have side games. A type of scramble would be awesome. I don't like the games where you can get mulligans or subtract any strokes.(unless you can subtract a stroke for each hour spent in jail)I think it taints your actual score. And I hate taint. One thing cool is that some of these side games should have some type of consequence. I'm not sure what , but we could think of something.

Anonymous said...

I like the handi-fuckin-capping system. It makes me hot. But everything makes me hot since my trip to arizona. Go BIG BLUE.

Mark Harter said...

The games need consequence? Each days loser gets "gym socked"in the face.

Jph76r said...

I absolutely LOVE the proposed handicap system. This would give me a shot at The Jacket. Also doing 3 push-ups, 2 sit-ups and half a chin-up a day to get into form.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of getting in shape, I am now on the Belgian Atkins diet, which is great prep for a golf trip in Myrtle. Normal Atkins says you stay off carbs, but eat lots of protein and fats. The Belgian Atkins says you can eat:

- Beer (>7% alcohol)
- Frites (fries)
- Coffee
- Waffles
- Beer

Any other takers?

Anonymous said...

Last night a stripper told me i look like Tom Cruise

Jph76r said...

Yes I am in Jeremy as long as we include:

- bacon
- sausage gravy

Anonymous said...

It would be really cool if Mark updated this blog so we didn't have to keep writing about Tony's handicap and looking at that picture of Mark that looks like a photo shoot for ManDelay performance cream.